Click the icons below to access author handouts.
Studio E • Friday afternoon, 12:15–1:45
Music and Disability Interest Group Meeting
Bruce Quaglia (University of West Georgia), Co-Chair
Anabel Maler (University of Chicago), Co-Chair
We will begin with a short business meeting that will last no more than fifteen minutes. This will then be followed by an informal seminar on The Intersections of Sound Studies and Disability Studies in Music that will last from 12:30 until approximately 1:45. We will be led for this seminar by noted authors Mara Mills (NYU) and Jonathan Sterne (McGill University) who will be joining us from The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin where they are presently co-authoring a book on the history of time stretching and pitch shifting technology. Professors Mills and Sterne will be joining us via Skype. Sumanth Gopinath (University of Minnesota) and Jennifer Iverson (University of Chicago) will be our respondents, on site.
In preparation for this seminar, we ask that you read two short essays from the volume Keywords in Sound Studies: Chapter 4 (Mills) “Deafness,” and Chapter 6 (Sterne) “Hearing.” In addition, please also consider reading the recent essay “Dismediation: Three Proposals and Six Tactics,” co-authored by Mills and Sterne.
You can access these readings here:
- Deafness: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MrVXpIBrZ6eWhHWW1fQjJ1ZjA
- Hearing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MrVXpIBrZ6bFZtUENxQzRoMEk
- Dismediation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MrVXpIBrZ6TE5ZUjdETDNLdVU
- Mara Mills (New York University)
- Jonathan Sterne (McGill University)
- Sumanth Gopinath (University of Minnesota)
- Jennifer Iverson (University of Chicago)